Chicken, carrot and cashew curry
Words: Ross Dobson
Images: Jeremy Simons // jeremysimons
Nothing says winter like a slow-cooked, heart warming curry, and this chicken, cashew and carrot curry is the kind of thing you’d willingly cancel all other plans for. Chef Ross Dobson, who has just released the ultimate healthy slow-cooker guide says “chicken and cashews make such a lovely couple. And here the combination makes for a perfect no-fuss, high-impact curry, as everything is done in the slow cooker, with no paste-making or frying required.” Plus, it’s even gluten-free too. BRB, just cancelling all plans.
PREPARATION: 20 minutes
COOKING TIME: 5 hours
6 chicken thigh fillets
2 carrots, thickly sliced
165 ml (5¼ fl oz) can light coconut milk
2 brown onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
1 large red chilli, finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1⁄2 cup (80 g) roasted cashews, plus a small handful extra
handful roughly chopped coriander (cilantro)
1. Trim off all the fat from the chicken and discard. Cut each thigh in half, then refrigerate until needed.
2. Heat your slow cooker to high.
3. Combine the carrots, coconut milk, onions, garlic, ginger, chilli, ground coriander, fennel seeds, turmeric and salt in the bowl of the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 3 hours, stirring every hour.
4. Working quickly to avoid losing too much heat, add the chicken and cashews. Cover and cook for 2 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and the carrots are tender.
5. Stir in the chopped coriander and scatter with the extra cashews.
Images and text from
The Healthy Slow Cooker by Ross Dobson, Photography by Jeremy Simons.
Murdoch Books, $35.00. Out now